Wednesday 6 July 2016

Italian Beginnings - Day 6


Austrian Mountains

Lake Garda, Venice & Verona                                                 Italy

Friday 21st March 2014

This morning was a very early one as I expected knowing we had a lot of ground to cover in order to get to the overnight stop at Metz again. However, a different journey there awaited me which was actually an amazing surprise for me. Instead of going the same route back, we would head into Austria and then through to Germany and back to France. This made me very excited as I was about to visit two more countries on my journey. I had heard so much about Austria’s landscapes and picturesque mountains so despite me leaving this beautiful country of Italy, I was happy I was going through Austria. As soon as we all got on the bus, we set off waving goodbye to the hotel staff and the beautiful and amazing Italy. It didn’t take as long as I thought to hit the Austrian border and as soon as we got there, I could see what everyone meant by the beauty of the place. It was a magnificent sight to see dare I say it, better than the Swiss Alps. An hour or so into Austria we headed through a place known as fern pass which had the most incredible views. These included large lovely green valleys with steep drops along the roadside and snow topped mountains far in the distance and all the while, the sun was beaming bright to finish off the perfect view of Austria. We also came across cable cars going above and across the road which looked fantastic along with people skiing down the mountain slopes. It was bizarre seeing them ski as there was only a tiny amount of snow left to do such a thing. I thought a lot about coming back here sometime in the future doing skiing or hiking but I was getting too far ahead of myself, although it was passing the time well. Everything was perfect in Austria but when we hit the German border and roads, the land suddenly went flat as we left the mountains of Austria behind us. We then suddenly hit into a long traffic jam, the first time on this journey and then it started to rain. I then realised through Germany that all the cars were Audis, Mercedes, BMW or Porches which were black, grey or white. I thought the irony of it described the weather pretty well too. Despite these depressing moments, there were some good points in Germany such as the sights of the black forest and the infamous Rhine River which was very pretty to see as we made our way to France. It was a shame to see Germany in this way for the first time as I knew that there were a hell of a lot more places in this country with outstanding beauty and culture. After the long trip through Germany, we finally arrived at the Best Western Hotel at Metz again. It felt like de ja vu as I ended up in the exact same room as I did on the way so I knew what to expect when I entered. A while later, I headed straight downstairs after getting changed and into the restaurant with the 2 old passengers I was with in Verona and I ordered goats cheese pie with fish and a fruit cocktail for dessert. We were all talking about the journey from Italy to Metz about how breathtaking Austria looked and the gruelling traffic jam in Germany stating that I knew there were a lot of better things about the place. We also talked about the French waitress that served us that evening looking pretty as she was. This passed the time well as it was time to head off to sleep with the thought that I would be back home to reality the same time tomorrow.
Austrian Mountains

Austrian Countryside

Austrian Mountains

Austrian Countryside





No comments: